The Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 2015
January 29, 2016
13:10 (Part 1)
16:34 (Part 2)
Todd plays OMI - "Cheerleader" on the piano.
TOP TEN BEST HIT SONGS OF 2015
A year-end review
Todd: Let's! Get! This! Over with!
- [Clip of New China's near year countdown party]
Todd (VO): Oh it'll be great to get this burden off my shoulders. You've all started 2016 already, I'm still stuck in the previous year! These Top Tens are the bane of my existence! But I do it. I do it...
Todd: ...for you. And for the record, I think this list is much better than last year's. Like, I put...
- Clip of Pharrell Williams...
Todd (VO): ..."Happy" on last year's list. You know that's, that's a fine enough song, but...if I never heard it again, I wouldn't exactly cry either. But this list...
Todd: ...this year, these are all songs I have fully adopted as a piece of my soul. These are songs I want to last and be remembered. [Beat] Yeah, 2015 was a good year. And here's why. We're counting down...
- Clip from DJ Drybones's "Top Pop Songs Of 2015 Mashup (All About It), which serves as the interlude throughout the countdown.
- Taylor Swift: So it's gonna be forever
- Ed Sheeran: Take me into your loving arms
Todd(VO): The Top Ten Best Hit Songs of 2015!
- Taylor: You can tell when it's over
- We come back every time
Todd (VO): #10.
Todd: You know, I used to be ashamed of some of my picks for the Best list. I like to think I've moved past that, but I am still a little embarrassed by this one 'cause, I'll be honest, I'm worried this might end the poor guy's career.
#10. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis ft. Eric Nally, Melle Mel, Kool Moe Dee, and Grandmaster Caz - "Downtown"
- Artists: I'm headed downtown!
- Cruisin' through the alley
Todd (VO): I like Macklemore. He gets way, way too much shit. I hear all the time about how [clip of...] "Thrift Shop" is preachy and condescending and even racist.
Todd: It's a joke song about wearing...
Todd (VO): ...piss-smelling used clothes! I mean, God forbid hip-hop get the tiniest amount of criticisms for its most tedious, overused cliches.
Todd: Anyway, I wanted to get that defense out there 'cause...yeah, I worry that I might not get the chance again 'cause he might not be back.
- Macklemore: I went to the moped store, said "fuck it."
- Salesman's like "What up, what's your budget?"
Todd (VO): Yet his response to all the criticism seems to have been to make the silliest, weirdest, most intentionally lame song in history.
- Macklemore: You don't need an Uber, you don't need a cab
- Fuck a bus pass, you got a moped, man
Todd (VO): See, used clothes, you could make a case for that being cool, but riding a moped?
- Artists: Downtown
Todd (VO): It's like Macklemore saying, "you think I'm corny? Screw you, you haven't seen anything yet!" It cannot be long before Macklemore writes a song about the glory of [pics of...] the mullet, or how badass it is to play D&D, and cook calorie-conscious meals for the family...
Todd: ...and have a YouTube show where you review pop songs.
- Artists: Cut the bullshit
- Get off my mullet
Todd (VO): Yeah, the first response I and many had was that Macklemore was just trying for a mashup of "Thrift Shop" with "Uptown Funk." But I don't think that really indicates how strange this song is. It's a weird mix of early '80s rap, '60s pop, and a falsetto metal singer that that I was fairly certain was a female.
- Eric Nally: Downtown
Todd (VO): Oh, God, his knees. Can't watch this video.
Todd: I'm partly of the mind that...
Todd (VO): ...this song is a complete disaster. Goddamn, does the Mack get corny at points.
- Macklemore: There's layers to this shit player, Tiramisu, Tiramisu
Todd (VO): But goddammit, this song makes me smile whenever I hear it. It's an act of guts and anti-posturing that you just don't see from people.
Todd: If Beck released this song in the '90s, you'd all go crazy for that. This song is glorious.
- Artists: Downtown
Todd (VO): #9.
- Clip of Taylor Swift - "Love Story"
- Taylor: We were both young when I first saw you
- I close my eyes
Todd: Yeah, Taylor Swift was gonna make both lists this year.
Todd (VO): And I wanna point out here that, for all my criticisms of Taylor Swift, I always thought she was quite talented.
#9. Taylor Swift - "Wildest Dreams"
Todd (VO): #8.
#8. Elle King - "Ex's and Oh's"
Todd (VO): #7.
#7. Big Sean ft. E-40 - "I Don't Fuck With You"
Todd (VO): #6.
#6. The Weeknd - "Can't Feel My Face"
Todd (VO): #5.
#5. Rihanna, Kanye West & Paul McCartney - "FourFiveSeconds"
Todd (VO): #4.
#4. Major Lazer & DJ Snake ft. MØ - "Lean On"
Todd (VO): #3.
#3. Walk the Moon - "Shut Up and Dance"
Todd (VO): #2.
#2. Demi Lovato - "Cool for the Summer"
Carly Rae Jepsen - "Run Away with Me"
Drake - "Back to Back"
Pitbull & Ne-Yo - "Time of Our Lives"
Todd (VO): #1.
#1. Taylor Swift - "Style"
Closing tag song: Skrillex & Diplo ft. Justin Bieber - "Where Are Ü Now"
This video is owned by me
Year-end mashup by DJ Drybones
THANK YOU TO THE LOYAL PATRONS!
- ↑ #11 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #84 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #57 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #73 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #47 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #12 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #42 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #16 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #6 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #53 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #33 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #35 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ Not on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #99 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #39 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #1 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #29 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100
- ↑ #19 on Billboard Year-End Hot 100